FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are your thoughts on recycled fabrics?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: What are your thoughts on recycled fabrics? Reply with quote

I've seen posts around on other various boards, that resale children's clothing would be exempt because they have already been introduced into commerce. would then articles intended for children, made from recycled fabrics, fall within this category since the original fabric materials *were previously introduced into commerce* and were simply repurposed?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question! I hadn't thought of that... I make children's clothing from recycled adult garments. While I fully support the idea of making suppliers bear the weight of component testing, it still does nothing for my business. I'd love to hear what other's think...

Jayme
Lillipops Designs
www.lillipopsdesigns.etsy.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my senator's office researching a bunch of stuff, including this issue, as I've had ideas about upcycling clothing into children's goods.

He spoke today with the head of the CPSIA legislation (he could not remember his name; only Jack Horner, the liason's name, who sent him up to the top for the conversation).

The director of the CPSIA stuff told him by phone that if something is being upcycled (made from existing garments or fabric) into children's items, if it is not in compliance, selling it would be illegal.

He's speaking to him again hopefully tomorrow, and he'll have his name for me at that time.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closer we look at this thing, the worse it gets. I don't know about you but I look closely looking for an out but it just gets crappier the more we dig.

Consumers are so hosed and they don't even know it. I predict a lot more people are going to take up sewing their children's clothes. I better get my pattern line ready for retail!
Esther

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. That's why I am not getting rid of any of my raw materials. I plan on clothing my nieces and nephews. I keep thinking I should start stockpiling fabric. And since we won't be able to use buttons, zippers, snaps, or drawstrings, we will have to invent a new type of closure. Either that or start wearing robes a la Ten Commandments.
Lisa Bloodgood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I rely on the thrift stores to clothe my stepchildren. I pass on what they grow out of to their cousins. Looks like I, too, might be getting busy making their clothes because only 4 of them are over the age of 12. <sigh>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: