FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can we talk about the labeling requirements?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vesta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I did. They were very clear, and sent me a list of items for which they wouldn't give RNs. I can't remember all of them now, but seems like a lot of accessories were on the list.
Melissa McKeagney

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Miracle, I am guilty as charged. I will get these ordered tomorrow, and try to figure out how to deal with the new labeling requirements at the same time.

Stupid question alert: what is an RN#?

Melissa
J C Sprowls

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
RNs are supposed to apply to textile items, even including home goods

It also depends on the materials you use. Technically, the RN is supposed to be used only on certain product classes and, then, only for those that use a controlled material (e.g. wool, etc.).

Just fib.

Say you make baby slingers in virgin wool spun form unicorn hair and they'll give you an RN number.

RE: RN Numbers - http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/rn/rnfaq.shtm
Vesta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J, I never thought of that. I'll try it and see how they react. Razz
annika

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If baby slings aren't considered within the realm of the act that governs RN numbers, what is the advantage of having and using one? Seriously curious.
J C Sprowls

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traceability. And, now that the CPSIA requires that *all* companies identify themself, getting an RN number just moved from "a darn good idea" to "meets/solves the identification requirement".
Esther

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term "voluntary" in the eyes of the government is no different than a "law". An example is the drawstring guideline. Technically a voluntary guideline but interpreted as a law (Nordstrom just got slapped with fines for failing to notify the CPSC about problem drawstrings in a timely manner, even though it is strictly voluntary). Anyway, the RN thing is just another example.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always said to lie or do what you had to, to get an RN #. I don't know why they don't like passing them out.

Unofficial response to my question of "what is a batch?" is don't ask and shut up. It wasn't said rudely. Just not to bring up the minutia of it, why give the consumer product safety commission more to deal with if we can track things internally with one batch or lot number for three colorways in a cut?
Esther

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we can disregard the batch problem now, but it will come up at some point when some bureaucrat gets bored or the next CPSC head honcho wants to appear to have accomplished something. How else did OSHA come up with 4,000 mostly ineffectual regulations?
J C Sprowls

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How else did OSHA come up with 4,000 mostly ineffectual regulations?

... that they're too lazy to enforce, hence the CA Garment Registry

I'm digressing.
Shannon Foster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a dumb question. I rave a RN# from when I trademarked my name with the USPTO. Is that "the" registration number I need to begin including with my labels?
J C Sprowls

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USPTO does not issue RN Numbers. Those come from the FTC. Follow the link, above and search the database by the RN number you have. If it returns a record registered to your company, then, this is the number you need to display on you CCO labels.
Shannon Foster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JC. I do have a serial # from the USPTO and then they issued a RN# after the process was complete but you are right, it is not coming up in the database.
Tina HD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just befuddled at how I am supposed to possibly batch my items.

For example--last week I made 13 diapers. Not one of them was the same--I may have had 3 with the same materials, but 1 was small, 1 medium, 1 large. Did I have 13 batches? Was that a "production run"? It took 4 days to do it, some were done on Tues, some Wed, some Thusday. What's my production date?

Next month, if I make another batch and some of those are in the same fabric/size combos as these I made, will they need to be labeled differently?

I simply cannot see how these labeling laws can work for someone as small-time as me. I'm glad I have till Aug to figure it out.

Tina
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tina, these questions aren't so unusual, large companies have the same issues. Typically, the date of completion of the entire batch is the date of manufacture. All the law is requiring you to do is to create better management systems for your work process.

This is the question they want answered:
If a product of yours is recalled, do you have the means to find every other unit that would be subject to the recall? Can you identify every affected unit through your internal processes? If not, you'll have to create a method to do it. More paperwork!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: