FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Activism CPSIA: MEDIA
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Activism CPSIA: MEDIA Reply with quote

As per [url=//fashion-incubator.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=18780#18780]Jody's suggestion[/url], we're splitting the activism thread into five areas which are:
1. ONLINE: Distribution of materials through the Internet to get our message out there for the purpose of generating support at the grassroots level (through blogs, listservers, discussion groups on Etsy, eBay, posting iPetitions, etc.)
2. CONGRESS: Flooding our Congressional representatives with comments
3. CPSC: Flooding CPSC with comments
4. MEDIA: Generating media interest in our concerns
5. TRADE GROUPS: Working through and alongside professional trade organizations to get our message heard

Jody wrote:
I’ve seen a whole lot of good ideas on this thread on how to fight this thing. But, I’m finding it increasingly difficult to follow everyone’s efforts. Waging an effective battle requires strategy. To that end, I’d like to recommend that we get a little more organized to increase our effectiveness.

<snipped> What I’m suggesting is to use separate threads on this forum much like you would create subcommittees under a Board. This way, when any of us completes a task such as contacting a specific media outlet, posting on a specific blog, etc., we can post to the appropriate thread. Likewise, when each of us is working on something, we can go straight to that thread to find out what’s been done so far so that no one ends up spinning their wheels. We have lots of energy and connections here – we need to use both very wisely to avoid burn out.

It occurs to me that we really need to target our concerns about this legislation to the audience we are appealing to. To that end, I am drafting different responses for us to send to different audiences.

MEDIA: Our letter to the media:
I’m going to write an appeal to the media that plays on the insatiable desire to get the scoop on everyone else. Right now, all the coverage we find focuses on toys and essentially congratulates Congress on providing greater protection for children. This is why we are getting an underwhelming response to concerns. But, the good news is, it’s getting coverage.

So, I think a good strategy will be to send our appeal, once I get it drafted, first to those media that have recently covered the CPSIA (Washington Post, Wall Street Journal), then to as many other big guns we can find. This appeal should emphasize a different angle to the story that other media are ignoring (this is the scoop factor), that is, the impact to the economy in February. Here again, I will try to draft a letter that puts our concerns within the context of unintended consequences. I will try to get a release drafted for media today, but I can’t promise….I want to focus on our letter to CSPC.</snipped>

Anyway, here please post your online activist activities and include links. If someone posts a link, please, follow the link and add your two cents! If one person has written a letter to the NYT, don't think you can't do it too. In fact, we should have a sign up list and rotate, five or so people writing each of the big outlets every day but staggered so we have five letters a day going to NYT, WSJ etc but different people each day. Ideally, someone could post the email addresses to write to for the media.

PEOPLE, it's best to keep these email addys neatly together. If you post, I may combine edit your post and add it into an earlier post that already has some. Also remember you can edit your own posts, adding to them by using the edit button.
Valerie Burner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathleen, I'll write the article for Apparel Magazine. IDK if this belongs in Online or Media, but I will write something up and ask for comments before I send it. I was hoping they would ask you to write it...that's why I wrote to them in the first place...
J C Sprowls

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you already contacted Apparel Magazine to see if it's in the works? If another author has already taken this assignment, maybe you can provide research or some other supporting function.

My point: don't try to re-create someone else's wheel. You can either expound upon the assigned author's work - providing an alternate point of view. Or you can offer to combine forces in a common interest.
Valerie Burner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, JC, last week I got an email announcing that they have redone their online magazine, and they would like any feedback, suggestions, etc... I wrote to them and asked if they would do an article on it, and gave them the link to the article here on F-I. She wrote me back within the hour and asked if I would write one... I told Kathleen, and she said they wouldn't even email her back. She told me to write something, but I don't feel that qualified... I asked her if perhaps you or Miracle would rather do it- or do a collaboration. That's where it stands right now... What do you think?
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah!
I got a nibble from Virginia Postrel who's interested in exploring the story. Virginia is quite influential, an author and columnist for the Atlantic Monthly and previously, the Dallas Morning News. She's also uber connected with economists. I mean, some of her friends are also my friends but I've had no connection to her directly prior.
annika

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to email a Chicago Tribune reporter that I was having a brief exchange with a couple weeks ago (re Motrin Gate) and see if she or anyone there has any interest in doing a story.

I would hope that with the economy the way it is that a story about legislation that could potentially heap tons of more businesses onto the bankruptcy pile would be like crack for reporters. I'm on a the HARO (Help a Reporter Out) email list and three times a day all it is is queries for experts on the economy or tell me how you are dealing with the economy.
Esther

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sensing a tipping point and I think the CPSIA activism is starting to go viral. These are the media related people that Etsians have contacted:

Bill O'Reilly
Greta VanSustern
Sean Hannity
Oprah
FoxNews
Today Show
Barack O'bama
Megan Kelly (FoxNews)

One Etsian has succeed in getting a local radio station in MN or ND to do an interview on the subject.
mollyodesigns

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent a bunch of information to a columnist here in Las Vegas. He focuses on government issues. He is VERY interested in covering this. I will keep you posted :)
Vesta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have interest from a Chicago (I think) reporter. I'll keep you posted if/when it's published. She's interviewing several people I know.
allthenumbers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time poster - I sell on Etsy and am glad you made these forums public. Smile
I just sent letters to
The Boston Globe
The Boston Herald
The Ptriot Ledger (local paper)
and The NY Times
Miracle
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph wrote:
Someone reading this must be involved in PR and already have relationships with publications that could streamline this. Reveal yourself! I will keep my eyes and ears open.

I sent Kathleen a letter to review for accuracy. I'm sending it to some publicists I know.
Vesta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miracle, we have someone willing to pay to put a press release on one of the PR wires (at a cost of about $600?). Could we use yours?
Miracle
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I wasn't writing a release, personally, but if anyone can compile the facts, I can get the release written.

Or did you mean distributed? I was going to ask these publicists to submit to their media contacts as a matter of "public service" as they all have clients impacted by this.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pam volunteered to pay someone to write one. I passed her that piece you sent. The writer is doing some research but... she's still missing the big picture thinking this only applies to toys, footed sleepers, flammability and baby bibs...
Miracle
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let me know when that is done and I will send it out. Please also let me know if that email is ok (accurate) and I will send it to people I know.

Miracle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: