I’m really sorry to have let regular posting come at the expense of this issue but this affects so many of us. Most of us are in the war room (open to the public) working on strategy and activism. Speaking of, this is what you can do.
- From this site, you can email all of your legislators by filling out one simple form.
- Sign the petition.
- One enterprising individual is posting this on Craig’s List. I’m sure no one will mind if you copy the text or modify it for Craigs List in your area. The key here is to involve consumers. Legislators are largely ignoring us because consumers think this is a great law.
- Wacky Hermit has organized a mail-in protest. She says:
The idea is to mail a sample of our cute handmade stuff that is going to be taken off the market by the lead testing requirements to Bobby Rush, with a letter telling him of our plight and how this item is a gift to him because it can’t be sold, since it’s going to turn into a “hazardous substance”.
It’s quite humorous and is effective at making a point. Click through to get the details. She amends the protest with another option of sending an empty box if you don’t want to send product. That entry is here.
- Here you can find a lot of email addresses of legislators and CPSC folks to copy and paste into your email program.
- If you’re a toy maker concerned with CPSIA or the CPSC, go to CPSIA Central. Rob Wilson has an interesting idea for a video protest. If you’re a film maker, this could be the ticket!
I’m a bit scattered and left out quite a few things. Feel free to jump in and I’ll amend this entry.
Related in the forum:
The War Room: CPSIA & Consumer Safety. This is a very active section with nearly 60 different threads and over 1,000 postings. Open to the public.